Today, as is throughout history, natural resources are an important part of the world we live in and the people responsible for providing these resources, whether directly or indirectly, could one day be you! Geoscience (also referred to as earth science) is a broad and diverse world and its industry provides the very raw materials that most of us cannot live without.
This is an exciting outreach seminar hosted by the APEGBC Vancouver Branch focusing on the people and their stories from the mining industry. This is an exceptional opportunity for budding geologists, science-minded, and also curious individuals who have wondered what a career in geology may entail.
Several professional speakers will provide an account of their success and an insight into the mining industry. The seminar is aimed to educate, inspire, and fulfill students to reach their potential. Everyone with interest is invited to attend.
Victoria Yehl, P.Geo.
Senior Geologist, Corporate Finance Division - British Columbia Securities Commission (BCSC)
Victoria (Vicki) joined the BC Securities Commission as a Senior Geologist in July 2016 after over 20 years with Teck Resources Limited. While at Teck, Vicki worked around the world as part of the Exploration, Energy (Oil Sands), Exploration Business Development and Corporate Development teams on a wide range of projects and commodities. She spent time as an underground production geologist at the Polaris Zinc Mine, led Teck’s global diamond exploration strategy, helped establish the oil sands group, and participated in multiple property evaluations, partnerships, acquisitions and farm-outs. Prior to working for Teck Vicki worked for a junior diamond and gold explorer in South America and the Ontario Geological Survey. Vicki holds a Bachelor of Science degree from University of Toronto, a Master’s of Science degree from Queen’s University, and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (Mining) from Simon Fraser University. Vicki is also past Chair of the Vancouver MEG, a past Chair of AME’s Mineral Exploration Roundup and has recently completed two terms as a Geological Association of Canada Councillor – including President of the GAC. Finally, Vicki is also a registered professional geoscientist with APEGBC.
Patrick McAndless, P.Geo.
Geodude Corner – Branding Specialist, AME BC, Robert R. Hedley Award
- Recognized by the Kamloops Exploration Group 2016 Golden Pick Award for” Outstanding Service and Contributions to the British Columbia Mineral Industry”
- Recognized by the Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia 2015 Robert R. Hedley Award for “Excellence in Social and Environmental Responsibility”, the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia 2006 C.J. Westerman Memorial Award for “Significant Contributions to Professional Geoscience and Outstanding Community Service”, the British Columbia & Yukon Chamber of Mines 2005 H.H. “Spud” Huestis Award for “Excellence in Prospecting and Mineral Exploration”, and the 2003 Northern BC Business & Industry Award for “Northern BC Prospector of the Year”.
- Guest lecturer at elementary and high schools as well as over 150 universities and colleges across Canada, US, Europe, and South America providing a set of practical tools to assist students and professionals with their career development.
- Over 45 years in the mining industry primarily exploring for base and precious metal deposits worldwide.
- Managed large-scale exploration projects for senior and junior mining companies focusing on porphyry copper, volcanogenic massive sulphide, epithermal gold, uranium and diamond deposits.
- Part of the Imperial Metal’s team that discovered the copper-gold Northeast zone in British Columbia and the high-grade gold 144 zone in Nevada.
- Director of a number of junior mining companies.
Dr. Ron Uken
Principal Consultant, SRK Consulting - North America
Dr. Ron Uken is a Principal Consultant in structural geology with over 20 years of experience. He has a strong academic and research background, having completed his PhD on the structure and metamorphic aureole of the Bushveld Complex in South Africa. He has also been associated with Antarctic research and as a consultant has worked extensively throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa and the Middle East on mine sites and exploration projects. Since joining SRK in Vancouver, he has worked mainly in the Cordillerian of South and North America. His specialization is in structural mapping and 3-D structural modelling of complex and highly deformed ore deposits and terranes, and the application of structural geology to geotech and mining in both open pits and underground operations
Andy Randell, P.Geo.
Principal Geologist, Strata GeoData Services
Andy is a Professional Geoscientist (PGeo) registered with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists in British Columbia (APEGBC). He has over a decade of experience across a multitude of mineral exploration and mining project types and commodities, specializing in geological mapping, design of exploration projects and drilling programs, geochemical targets, soil sampling, mineralogy and metallurgy. From grass roots to feasibility level projects, he has had experience with all.
He established his own consultancy in 2013, Strata GeoData Services, which has allowed him to broaden his scope and work with other companies and professionals. Strata GeoData Services has since diversified into three separate, but not exclusive, entities; SGDS Consult, SGDS Workshops and SGDS Hive.
President, CEO, and Director, Rockhaven Resources Ltd.
Mr. Turner obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Earth and Ocean Science (Specialization Geology) from the University of British Columbia in 2002. He has managed and participated in numerous exploration projects throughout Western Canada, focusing mainly on precious metal vein, IOCG and diamond deposits. Mr. Turner has been Rockhaven’s CEO since 2008 and was appointed President in 2015.
Guest/Non-member registration: If you are not a member of APEGBC, you can register online by quickly creating a 'non-member' account. After clicking on the 'Register' link, you will be brought to a login screen. Towards the bottom, there is a ‘Create new account’ link. Click this link and follow the prompts to create your account and then you will be able to register online with this new account. Thank you and we look forward to having you join us.